After the training you deserve an amazing and healthy lunch.
HEALTHY MUSHROOM ALFREDO PASTA BAKE
1 lb. whole wheat penne pasta
1 head cauliflower (about 6-7 cups of florets)
3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth, divided
¾ cups milk
¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic
24 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
fresh sage, sliced into thin ribbons
extras: caramelized onions, bacon, sausage
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook the pasta for 5 minutes – it should still be a little firm. Drain, toss a drizzle of oil, and set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the cauliflower, and cook for 5 minutes until tender – crisp. Meanwhile sauté the minced garlic with a tablespoon of butter. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked cauliflower to a blender with 2 cups broth, milk, oil, salt, and sautéed garlic. Puree until very smooth. You might need to do this in batches.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Heat the 3 tablespoon butter in a very large skillet. Add the mushrooms and sauté until golden brown.
4. Toss the cooked pasta, cauliflower sauce, and mushrooms together. Add the remaining cup of broth to help consistency stay saucy.
5. Transfer to a deep 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and bake uncovered at 400 for 10-15 minutes. Some of the moisture from the mushrooms will seep out- give it a quick stir to reincorporate it and make it creamy. Top with fresh sage ribbons.
If you have time and want some extra flavor, add some caramelized onions, bacon, or sausage to the pasta before mixing and baking.
Recipe by pinchofyum.com